Elijah Part Two: 1 Kings 18

Photo by Matt Hardy on Unsplash

A while ago, Savannah Locke wrote a post about 1 Kings 18, and it really struck a chord with me. I read the passage recently and thought of her analysis again.

The story goes something like this: Israel was in a 3-year-long drought. Elijah accused the people of Israel of “limping between two options” of worship; at that time, between God and Baal. It doesn’t sound too different from our society today. It’s frighteningly easy to pick and choose aspects of different gods or idols (which can be anything).

To determine whose god was real, Elijah and the prophets of Baal gathered at Mount Carmel. The god who lit their altar on fire would be proclaimed as true. Baal’s prophets prayed to their god for hours and hours. They cut themselves and walked around their altar and cried out to Baal. But he did not answer.

Elijah dug a moat around his altar and poured twelve jars of water over it until it was soaking wet. Then he prayed to the God of Israel - the true God, the only God. God sent fire from heaven to burn up the whole altar - the wood and the water and the offering and even the stones.


Elijah poured twelve jars of water on his altar. Sometimes it feels as if there are a never-ending series of water jars being poured out on our lives. One trouble comes, and then another, and they’re all compounded to cause much stress and suffering.

Sometimes it feels like we’re stuck waiting for God to show up. Sometimes it seems as though He’s late. Surely I’ve learnt whatever lesson it is You wanted me to learn by now? Surely You’ve taught me dependence through this trial? Surely we can move on to the easier part, to the bit that I’m yearning for? I know I should learn patience and trust but I think I’ve got that figured out. I’m ready to move on out of this valley.

But instead of the trees clearing, another jar of water is poured out, and we’re sent sprawling back. At first, those knocks can leave us reeling, but it’s easy to become bitter and cynical. I guess this is my life now. Forgive me for wanting something so mundane. Everyone else is obviously in on some blessing that I’m not. Have you forgotten about me, Lord?

But the ending is sure: our God is mighty and powerful. He can send down fire from heaven to burn up every trench of water. He is in control. There is nothing too big for Him. He sees all things and knows all things. He is slow to anger, and abounding in love. He loves us more than we can know. He will save His people.

Instagram

this step enough. Theme by STS.